A Week in the Bear House – Day 5 – Saturday

Here is the Day 5 of my challenge to blog about our home education every day for a week. Follow the links to read about Day 1, Day 2, Day 3 and Day 4.
Today is a little different as it is the weekend. Daddy Bear is home today and it is my turn to go out to work.

It was one of those nights. I was awake for a pretty large part of it, although in small chunks. Daddy Bear slept in Teddy’s bed, the small bears in with me. Teddy is a fidget, and also woke up around 4am. It got to the point where he was not going to let Little Bear sleep, and he had already been in to disturb Daddy Bear, so I decided it would be safer to take him downstairs. Octonauts went on pretty quickly, as did the coffee. I spent a bit of time sorting out my bag for work, which is job not done often enough. I also managed to get a whole four shirts ironed, which is almost unheard of! Teddy played with dinos, and braved the freezing playroom to shove his hands in the sand. We also had a nice time organising the letters from our Melissa and Doug spelling game, and used Little Bear’s new time game for matching practise.

Little Bear arrived, yawning but in a relatively chilled out mood. He was immediately on Minecraft, and Teddy started hollering for porridge. Once it was ready, Little Bear showed me what he had been building: a Roman villa and a fleet of boats. He is getting really quick at creating in Minecraft! I was surprised about how much he remembered about Roman villas, partly from the book we were reading the other night and partly from visiting the excavations at Chedworth. We chatted about whether Romans built windows on their villas, and he looked at his book to find out. I pulled out the postcards and laminated print outs we had stashed away, and he studied the way the floors were raised to allow for their underfloor heating system.

Leaving Teddy watching Cars2 and Little Bear still Minecrafting, I take coffee up to Daddy Bear. I get dressed, say goodbye and head to work. I mentioned on Wednesday’s post that I tutor children to make a bit of extra money, and the bulk of that is on Saturday mornings. I have three hour long sessions with  Y5, Y6 and Y7 children, as well as the Y9 young lady on Wednesday nights. It is interesting to continue to retain a toe in school life whilst travelling on this home education journey. My ideas about how children learn and develop, and what useful learning looks like have changed a lot since I was last teaching in a classroom. I don’t think I could ever go back to mass education, but I do feel that I am doing a good job helping these children who are struggling with aspects of the system. I have been seeing two of them for a long time, and have built up a strong rapport with them and their parents, and it is nice to feel I have that little community around me, away from the home as well.

Last lesson completed. I have my parcels to post, and then I can head home. I love working, I love chatting with my tutees and puzzling out their difficulties with them. Above all, I love helping them to shine. I get a real buzz when they or their parents tell me about some success in school that I might have contributed something to, if only in confidence. And I also love returning home.
Daddy Bear is cooking sausages, the fire is on in the living room (it is bitter outside), and the small bears seem calm and happy. Little Bear waves to me from across the room. It takes Teddy a few minutes to realise I am back, even though I sit next to him and say hello. Then it is bear hugs and giggles before lunch.

Little Bear is keen to show me how his Roman villa is coming on. It looks great, and he explains to me that he didn’t know if Romans had doors on their houses, so he looked in his book and found big wooden doors on the picture of a Roman farm. He shows me the wooden double doors he has added to his villa, and the veranda down one side inspired by one of the printouts we were looking at this morning. It is wonderful to see how he not only knows a lot about this period in history, but he is also developing some good research skills when he needs to find something out.
We all settle down in the living room for a bit with our separate activities.

Daddy Bear pops out to pick up some things in town. He is going to fetch the mugs we didn’t manage to get yesterday, as well as some other bits and pieces we need. The small bears and I get some hot chocolate and a snack, and settle down with the train track. Little Bear wants to build a track from England to Africa, via Australia. He shows me the route he is planning on his big world map (when did he learn where Australia is?!), then makes a big wiggly track on the rug. Teddy makes the longest train he can with all the carriages, and is not keen on giving it up when Little Bear’s track is finished. Fortunately, Daddy Bear averts an argument by coming home, and Teddy takes him upstairs to snuggle on the bed.

I like to take advantage of Daddy Bear being home at the weekend to have a nice quiet bath. Usually I would have it on a Sunday, but we will be out tomorrow. Since it is peaceful, and escape upstairs today instead.

Daddy Bear has made tea, and the boys are wrestling again. The train track nearly gets accidentally demolished, and they calm down to rescue it. I try to persuade Teddy to calm down with a story, but instead he is intent on covering the chair, and me sitting on it, with blankets, cushions and soft toys.

Teddy is still rather wired, but seems tired and asks to go to bed. So up we go. He doesn’t manage to listen to The Hungry Caterpillar all the way through, but wants the light off. We snuggle down with cat videos again at his request, and it isn’t long before he relaxes and sleeps.

I tidy up downstairs whilst Little Bear is watching Dragons. After a while he starts following me around, and I suggest he might want to snuggle in bed and read The Twits some more. He agrees and up we go. Some reading, lights out, and he falls asleep quickly.

I am getting felt ready for making various things for Christmas. I need to update and renew our Nativity characters, I have a gift I promised, and I want to have time to make a couple of decorations before the big day as well. Daddy Bear appears with tea and the biscuit tin, and we watch Doctor Who on catch up while I stitch. I do a little more after the programme ends, then tidy up and head to bed.
I am completing my blog for today in bed, and Little Bear suddenly appears and jumps in. Teddy sounds restless in the next room as well. I am hoping it won’t be a night like last night again…



2 thoughts on “A Week in the Bear House – Day 5 – Saturday

  1. Pingback: A Week in the Bear House – Day 6 – Sunday | Bear and Ted

  2. Pingback: A Week in the Bear House – Day 7 – Monday | Bear and Ted

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s